This is my third trip to Paris this year and my fourth trip abroad so you would think I was a professional packer at this point. As a last minute decision, I decided not to pack in my carry-on suitcase and choose a standard suitcase instead due to the length of my trip. I have a few gifts to bring over to friends and I plan on stocking up on French beauty products so the bigger suitcase was the best option.
When looking for a carry-on, finding a versatile bag that can be used when I arrive in Paris for everyday as well as one to carry my essentials on my flight is key. I traditionally carry everything in my favorite Longchamp bag when I walk around Paris. It is very Parisian and you will fit right in. You can purchase them in lots of places around Paris and even the duty free shop will have an assortment of colors and sizes. For overnight trips I love the weekend bag from Longchamp. If you are looking for something leather I adore the Cuyana zip top bag and I swear I have stocked it with my camera, lenses, and laptop and the straps have yet to break. If you are looking for one with a zipper which I highly recommend in Paris for safety try this one!
Inside my Carry On
So now to the fun stuff! What do I put in my carry on?
- Sleep Mask - I can't live without one. My first trip abroad I was given one and I literally can't sleep without it. I usually pack one in my carry-on and one in my suitcase just in case one gets lost.
- Cashmere Blanket - My Aunt bought me this as a gift and it is essential in my carry on year round. I am always freezing on the plane even in the Summer months so this is an essential when flying.
- Lip Balm - I found this one in Paris a few years ago and it literally is in every single one of my bags. I probably have 4 or 5 floating around at one time. I stock up in Paris because it is cheaper and it keeps my lips from getting chapped. My favorite is from Caudalie.
- Hand Creme - I try to stay as hydrated as possible on the flight but the dry air can really dry your skin. I love the Aesop hand creme or the Caudalie creme. One is always in my carry on.
- Sisley Eye Mask - I fell in love with this earlier in the Summer and have used it on every flight. It really helps keep the under eyes hydrated while flying. It feels cool on the skin and you look refreshed when you land. I don't really fly with makeup but make sure to put on a hydrating mask before leaving the house. I can't live without this one from Caudalie and will definitely be stocking up this week.
- Passport - A friend gave me this leather envelope before leaving for Paris in 2013 and I use it for every trip. I am able to store my ticket and a few euros alongside my passport. The red color makes it easy to find in my bag so I never worry about losing it. If I didn't have this envelope I would pick this adorable passport cover from Cuyana.
- Camera and lenses - What would I be as a travel photographer without my camera and lenses. I use a Canon 70D and my favorite lenses are the 35mm and the 50mm. The camera isn't too heavy and fits right in my Cuyana tote while I am out and about in Paris. I always bring extra SD Cards with me so I don't have to worry about running out of memory. I back up all my files at the end of the day for extra insurance.
- Headphones - I will admit I am a terrible sleeper on a plane so I will always end up watch a movie or two in flight. These headphones are perfect to cancel out the noise on the plane and listen to a movie or your favorite tunes.
- Books - I am still a book fan over the kindle. Anyone else with me? A few of my favorites to read right now are: Paris My Sweet, The Knightingale , and I just finished The Paris Wife when I was in Italy and loved it! UPDATED: Since I have started the Book Club for the Blog
- Snacks - I am a picky eater so when it comes to plane food, I usually skip it! I will grab something at the airport but I always grab snacks for my bag. Something sweet and something salty. I love the combination of peanut m & m's and pretzels. It is my go to snack when traveling.
- I can't live without packing in my Cuyana travel bags. I like to keep my makeup for when I land and all my toiletries organized. These make packing a breeze.
What I wear
I try to dress comfortably on the plane without looking like I am in my PJ's. I will wear a comfortable sweater, jeans, and a pair of boots. I absolutely LOVE these flats by yosi samara. They are foldable and will fit in the tinniest of spaces in your carry on and are the most comfortable flats! I literally will wear them all day in Paris and my feet don't hurt.
I can't wait to bring you along to Paris! Thank you for all of your sweet comments and questions on the last post. Please keep asking away and I will try to answer all of your questions. I promise to make a master list of places to eat, drink, shop, and sleep after the trip.